Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Dine Originals Week - Mezzo Italian Kitchen and Wine

I know I have reviewed Mezzo before. http://http//dishingitup-columbus.blogspot.com/2009/10/restaurant-week-mezzo.html

But it is such a gem in Gahanna! We really love it. So how could I not include it in Dine Originals Week? My thoughts exactly!

Sunday evening came and I just wasn’t feeling my usual self (yikes! - whatever that might be!). So I had a brainstorm … would Mezzo do carryout on the Dine Originals Week menu? We called and they said yes! Woohoo! We placed our order and Bob went to pick it up.

Mezzo’s first course offering was a choice of two salads; “La Casa Insalate: Mixed Greens, Poached Apples, Spiced Walnuts, and Gorgonzola Vinaigrette”, or “Wedge Salad: Smoked Bacon, Diced Tomatoes, Gorgonzola, and Peppercorn Ranch Dressing”.

There were three choices for the second course; “Sautéed Salmon with Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Zucchini and a Balsamic Reduction", “Chicken Marsala with Roasted Shitakes, Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes”, or “Lasagna al Forno: Veal, Beef, Ricotta, Mozzarella, and Marinara”.

The third course of dessert choices was Ricotta Cheesecake with whipped cream and strawberries or Triple Layer Chocolate Cake with powdered sugar and raspberries.

First course was easy; we got one of each salad.

Second course, not so easy. Oh my gosh … now how am I supposed to choose from that? I reflected; I mulled it over; I pondered; I ruminated; I contemplated; and I meditated. Oh for goodness sakes! Who was I kidding? I simply cannot resist Mezzo’s lasagna. The only other competition for me was their scallops and since they weren’t on the Dine Originals Week menu (and I’m doing this solely for the readers of my blog, mind you), it had to be the lasagna.

Bob decided to get the Chicken Marsala and we could share (his way of getting to my lasagna, yeah?). For the dessert, again it was one of each.

I perked up the minute he walked through the door. We unpacked the food; and may I say that Mezzo packs their carryout food excellently (is that a word?). There was no spillage. Spillage is a big issue for me. If it can spill you can bet I will spill it. The containers are microwavable so if you need to nuke for a reheat they have you covered. Utensils are included as well.


We proceeded to fill our plates. Pictured here is the house salad (it was so big we split it and didn’t even get into the wedge), half of one of the two chicken marsala breasts and potatoes, and a third of the lasagna. There was a lot of food!

I cannot tell a lie. The lasagna was the best part of the meal. That being said let me back up to the salad. I love this salad. The poached apples were amazing. I wish I could just get a dish of the apples. Then there were the walnuts. Spiced! They were so yummy. Add the blue cheese and the vinaigrette and it was just one wonderful salad. Hands down it was a favorite!

The chicken marsala was good, however I would have liked more marsala in the sauce. The potatoes, well we all know how I feel about any potato on this earth. I also need to call attention to the vegetables from Mezzo. I’m one of those people that have to pretty much remind myself constantly that I need vegetables. And then it’s not so easy to find many that I really like. Well, I don’t know what they do to the vegetables at Mezzo but they are delicious! I have been impressed with the vegetables at every meal I’ve eaten there. Maybe they have a magic garden … whatever they have; I’m telling you those veggies rock. And this coming from a “vegetable struggler”!

Both of the desserts were delicious. The chocolate cake was moist and rich. The ricotta cheesecake was absolutely divine. It was so creamy and light and fluffy and more. You know, as in “I want more!”

The meal was delicious! I never considered Mezzo as a carryout option before but you can bet it’s on our list now!

And you know the best part?

MEZZO HAS EXTENDED THEIR DINE ORIGINALS WEEK THROUGH SUNDAY!!!

And did I mention that the three course dinner was only $20.10? Now tell me, how can you not go???

Mezzo Italian Kitchen and Wine
130 Creekside Plaza
Gahanna, OH 43230
614-476-9900
http://mezzoitalian.com/


Mezzo on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment