Tuesday, May 11, 2010

For the Love of Gnomes


Have I ever told you about my love for all things "Gnome"? Oh, it's true. I am totally smitten with gnomes. I just get the biggest kick out of them. They make me smile. Even when I don't feel like smiling, they make me.

They're such funny creatures. I would have them everywhere if I could. But Bob can only tolerate so many at a given time. We had a particularly nasty storm right before Easter that blew my stacked "see-no-evil, hear-no-evil, speak-no-evil" gnomes off the front porch. Poor babies; the top gnome's head exploded. It was very sad. Bob wasn't so sad.

This is my favorite gnome. He is sorely in need of a new paint job. I'll have to take care of that soon. This guy mans the front of the house and sits right by my kidney stone (that's another story). It was quite a coup when I got him. Oh boy was I excited. Yes my friends, that was a happy day. He was even on sale!

On my 50th birthday my crazy friends Cara & Sandy gave me 50 gnomes. Ha! Some of those little guys have even shown up in other people's yards. Some have stayed here. (Like those involved in the unfortunate incident of the exploding head.) If you find a gnome in your yard you must keep him. If he has found his way to you then you are his rightful owner. Something unseemly may happen if you don't keep him. They are quite mischievous, you know. I know this because there are quite often situations in our house when I know I haven't done something and Bob swears he didn't do it, and I'm almost certain the cats didn't do it. So what other explanation is there than it was the work of the gnomes?

When it's nice outside I like to sit on the deck and read. Fortunately, if the phone rings or I need a snack (and we all know how I like my snacks!), then I have the security of knowing that my gnomes will "mark" my page in my book so I don't lose my place.


But sometimes when I'm sitting out there reading, I get the feeling that I'm being watched...


Bob says he gets the same feeling when he gets ready to grill ...


...maybe we're just paranoid. Because gnomes really can be quite helpful. If they like you they do things that you may not have the patience to do; like just hanging out and monitoring the temperature all day ... boooring. So if you happen to find a gnome in your yard, be good to him and he'll be good to you.

All this just because I wanted to show you what the Easter Bunny brought me (my new gnome dish set).

No comments:

Post a Comment