Monday, May 3, 2010

Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Thingies – Pioneer Woman


Did you happen to notice the stuffed jalapeños on the plate with the Italian Drip Beef? Those were also from The Pioneer Woman. Oh my gosh were they good! I knew you noticed them! And I figured you’re probably thinking, “Hey! Why the heck didn’t she give us the recipe for those?” Well, I’m going to do just that!

First of all, I don’t eat jalapeños. No way. I don’t do spicy. So I really can’t explain to you why these caught my eye. Except that they looked like something Bob would really like. So I got three little jalapeños, thinking that would make six appetizer/sides for him. Well, once they started cooking and smelling so incredibly delicious, I couldn’t wait for them to come out of the oven. I mean, they’re wrapped with bacon (the daddy of all pork products)!!! And, they’re filled with cream cheese! By the time they came out of the oven, I was beginning to rethink my resistance to jalapeños!

When I was plating up our dinner, I slipped the smallest jalapeño thingy onto my plate. I was about halfway through my drip beef sandwich before I worked up the courage to try it. Bob assured me and reassured me that it was not hot. I cut it in half and tentatively tasted it. Of all that is green and creamy and smokey and bacony on this earth! This was delicious! I wanted more! But, uh oh … I’d already put the rest of them on Bob’s plate. Would he notice if I slid my fork across the table and nabbed one? Does a squirrel eat nuts? Of course he’d notice. If I asked, he’d probably give me one. But I knew he was enjoying them too. So I decided right then and there that the next trip to the grocery store was going to include more jalapeños to make more “thingies”!

One more thing! Pioneer Woman says that her family has started to put these on top of their grilled hamburgers. I sure do like the way those folks think!

Here is the recipe. It is so good and so easy! If you want to see in detail step-by-step picture instructions, here is the link to PW’s post. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/07/bacon-wrapped_j/

Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Thingies
Pioneer Woman

Ingredients:

• 20 whole Fresh Jalapeños, 2-3 Inches In Size
• 2 cubes Cream Cheese, softened
• 1 pound Thin(regular) Bacon, Sliced Into Thirds

Preparation Instructions:

If you have them, slip on some latex gloves for the pepper prep… Cut jalapenos in half, length-wise. With a spoon, remove the seeds and white membrane (the source of the heat; leave a little if you like things HOT). Smear softened cream cheese into each jalapeno half. Wrap jalapeno with bacon pieces (1/3 slice). Secure by sticking toothpick through the middle. (At this point, you can freeze them, uncooked, in a Ziploc bag for later use).

Bake on a pan with a rack in a 375-degree oven for 20-25 minutes. You don’t want the bacon to shrink so much it starts to the squeeze the jalapeno. If, after 20 minutes, the bacon doesn’t look brown enough, just turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes to finish it off. These are best when the jalapeno still has a bit of bite to it.

Serve immediately, or they’re also great at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment