Sunday, May 17, 2009

La Salsa Villanueva

Trust me Hot-Mom knows her salsa this is the best you will ever eat! I like to compare it to the kind you get at a Mexican restaurant. It is very simple to make and stores well. The best way to eat it is with my favorite chips El Milagros-which you can find at Kroger.

Ingredients:
1 28oz can of diced tomatoes (Dei Fratelli brand is the best)
3 jalapeno peppers
10 sprigs of cilantro
1/2 tsp of onion powder
1/2 tsp of garlic powder
1/2 tsp of chili powder
1/4 tsp of onion salt
1/4 tsp of garlic salt

Instructions:
Snap tops off of jalapenos. Boil tomatoes and jalapenos together in a medium sauce pan for 5-10 minutes. Blend tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro and all the spices. Salsa should be thick and smooth. Add more peppers to heat it up or more cilantro to cool it down.

6 comments:

  1. OK, hotmom ... you've thrown down a challenge -- the best salsa I have ever eaten? I am always ready to check that out. But, remember I've eaten my way around Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Colorado, so I have pretty high standards -- looking forward to this weekend so I can give it a try.

    007

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, this is really similar to a salsa recipe that I learned from my Mexican co-workers. The only difference is we used real onion and garlic and boiled those with the tomato and peppers and just salted and cilantroed the final product.

    Tasty and simple.. Not as good as my tomatillo, cucumber and corn salsa ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well bring it on sister! How would we know how good it is when we haven't seen a post on it???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well mostly because it's a summer item and it is JUST starting to be summer. :P

    And it means I have to WRITE a recipe now. (pouts)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get on it girlfriend! Hotmom has thrown doen the gauntlet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All right, I have had the opportunity to taste hotmom's Salsa Villanueva, and the verdict is: This is Some SERIOUSLY Good Salsa!! Nice smooth texture (remember, the blender), good amount of heat, and just the right amount of cilantro. It would be interesting to try a comparison of this version and the same thing with all fresh ingredients -- maybe toward the end of summer we will have to have a salsa taste-off! Of course, that would mean that L3 would have to make salsa, not just talk about it ...

    I think I'll have mine shaken, not stirred ...

    ReplyDelete