Thursday, July 2, 2009

Coconut Macaroons



I really love coconut. No, I mean I really love coconut! And the older I get the more I love it. I know so many people that just don't like it. They can't even really say why. And so many more say they'll eat it in such-n-such but don't know if they truly like it or not. Even my husband (who I think has impeccably good taste) says he's not really crazy about coconut. I just don't get it. I love coconut.

So when I saw this recipe for coconut macaroons on http://www.mykitchensnippets.com/ I knew I had to have them. And I'm talking now! I was like a woman possessed. I had all the ingredients...except the coconut! Oh how could that be? When Bob came into the kitchen to find out why I was wailing (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit), he said he'd go get me coconut 'cause he likes a good coconut macaroon. Uh, wasn't this the same guy that wasn't crazy about coconut? Aha! Yes, but he is the original Cookie Monster. So if it's in a cookie, it's okay by him!

When I had the coconut in hand, it was so simple from there. This recipe is so elementary and so so good. It takes almost nothing to make it and produces these gorgeous little gems. Bob took most of them to work and I gave some away. Otherwise I would eat the entire batch myself.

Really I would! 'Cause I love coconut!!

Coconut Macaroons
from mykitchensnippets.com

Ingredients:
1 large egg white
pinch of salt
1/2 can (7 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 bag shredded sweetened coconut (14 oz)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk egg white and salt until frothy, about 2 minutes. Stir in condensed milk and vanilla. Using a rubber spatula, fold in coconut until well combined.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick baking mat. Using a teaspoon and your fingers, form macaroons into 1 1/4 inch mounds about 1 inch apart.
3. Bake until macaroons are golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Transfer the macaroons to a cooling rack. Let cool completely.

1 comment:

  1. I love coconut as well - and macaroons are one of my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete