Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Rhubarb Custard Pie

Today I am sharing with you the most incredible pie in "pie history". I kid you not! This pie is unequaled! It is so incredibly awesome that just at the mention of the name you will begin to salivate! This pie, simply put, ROCKS!!! It is none other than (drum roll, please)...RHUBARB CUSTARD PIE!!!

Literally, this is an old family recipe. When my dad was alive he had a patch of rhubarb in his back yard. And this was one of his favorite pies. (Of course with my dad, I think every pie was one of his favorites!) I would go into the back yard and pick a bunch of rhubarb and take them home and make two pies. One for dad and one for me. He'd hide his so no one visiting him would get any! God, how I miss him.

Every time I take a bite of this wonderfully delicious pie I smile and close my eyes. In my mind, I'm sitting at dad's table with him and we are both moaning from the sheer bliss of rhubarb goodness hitting our tongues. This pie is my favorite. Hands down.

This one's for you, Daddy!

Rhubarb Custard Pie

3 cups chopped rhubarb
1 1/2 cups sugar
5 tablespoons flour
2 eggs, beaten
pie shell for double crust pie*

Mix sugar and flour. Add in beaten eggs. Toss with rhubarb.
Pour into pie shell. Add top crust and vent well. (I use a pie bird in the middle and cut vents around it.)
Bake 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
Reduce temperature to 300 degrees and continue baking 35-40 minutes.

*You can use whatever pie crust you prefer. I am blessed with a husband that makes an incredible pie crust from scratch. Woohoo!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Jean. This one does sound devine. I'll have to see if I can find anyone with late rhubarb at the farmer's market.

    ReplyDelete