Thursday, December 17, 2009

Hania's Olde World Cuisine


There is a new gem in the North Market’s crown of jewels. Hania’s Olde World Cuisine would be the place. They claim to be “Your home for authentic Polish food!” And are they ever!!! When I heard about them I could not wait for them to open. I was so excited that we actually arrived a day before they opened. I was bummed, but this only made me more anxious to get my hands on some of their specialties.

Returning to the North Market a few days later, I first tried the cabbage rolls, pierogies and cucumber salad. The cabbage rolls, or “Golumbki” are stuffed with beef, pork, rice, garlic, and baked in tomato sauce. They were a little different than I am used to, but I found them to be quite tasty. They are $6.00/each.


The pierogies are made from scratch, and stuffed with combinations of potato, cheese, onion, mushroom, cabbage, sauerkraut and chicken. The dough is tender and screams “homemade”. The first day I was there I had the sauerkraut. They were good. I was a bit disappointed because my first choice was the potato and cheese. They were out on several occasions. Bad for me but I guess good for them! When I bought them the first time they were $1.25/each. Yes, I know they are homemade. And I sprang for them as a special treat. Now they cost $1.50/each. Ouch. I kind of have a hard time with that. But I know every once in a while I will weaken.

I was given a taste of the cucumber salad on my first visit. Yum! This was really good. It is cucumber, garlic and sour cream. It is so refreshing and just what you need against some of the heartier dishes.

On subsequent visits Bob and I tried “Bigos” (sauerkraut stew), “Grochowka” (split pea soup), “Polish Gulasz” (goulash), and little potato filled dumplings that I don’t know the name of but I was totally smitten with! Everything was absolutely delicious. I even liked the Grochowka and I am so totally not a fan of peas. I thought they were lentils!

There are several items that I really need to get back to try that look absolutely delicious. The chicken looks wonderful ($4.00/legs & thighs, $10.00/whole chicken, $6.00/half chicken) as does the breaded pork cutlets ($5.00) and sausages ($4.00). This is stick-to-your-ribs food, folks. Hearty food. Polish food. Just downright good food!

It is well worth your while to stop at the North Market and see what Chef Hubert and Molly (Eva, too) are offering on any given day. Not all dishes are available every day. But they do introduce new items on a regular basis. You can call for special orders and you can buy the pierogies frozen by the bag.

Hania’s Olde World Cuisine
At the North Market
59 Spruce Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215
(614) 220-8771
http://www.haniasoldeworldcuisine.com/

Hours of operation:
Monday-closed
Tues-Fri: 9am-7pm
Sat: 8am-5pm
Sun: noon-5pm


Hania's Olde World Cuisine on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a wonderful place! I made cabbage rolls the other day, these definitely look better :)

    ReplyDelete