Sunday, January 9, 2011

Retro Dinner

Okay, how delicious do these look? I know! I saw a picture of them that Laura had put on Facebook. Ever since then I could not get the darn things out of my mind! They're certainly not pretty, but boy are they good! I just bet you've forgotten how good they really are. I was possessed. I would simply not rest until I made them.

Bob made a shopping run for me and he came home with these great Angus dogs, four in a package. Perfect! I just happened to have a roll of 4 crescents in the fridge. And here's the funny thing; I rarely buy crescent rolls. Not because I don't like them, but because they usually end up on my thighs! But for the holidays I thought I might need them.

I took a dog, made a slit almost but not through, and stuffed it with shredded cheddar cheese. I started with the wide end of the crescent dough and wound it around the dog. Put those puppies into a 375 degree oven and cooked them for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, I thought "why not go all retro?". I took out those leftover mashed potatoes and made four perfectly crusted potato cakes. Next I opened up a can of green beans, tossed in a few cloves of roasted garlic, and a smidgen of bacon grease and cooked those up.
Now just look at that. Doesn't that look like something Mom would put on the table? (That is if your folks were Ward and June Cleaver.)

Bob and I got a big kick out of our dinner. And, I might add that my dear husband ate two pigs! A little ketchup on the potato cakes and we were good to go!

Did I mention there were cookies and milk for dessert?

No comments:

Post a Comment