Saturday, January 15, 2011

Thai Chicken and Coconut Soup with Noodles

On a blustery, cold winter day what could taste better than soup? Well, yeah there is lobster. But I’m talking reasonable here. Yeah, there’s chocolate. But that’s dessert. Work with me here! Think dinner. When it's cold outside I usually think soup.

And now I’m in the soup making mood. So I’ve had a few recipes that I’ve been waiting to make when the cold weather arrives. And it has arrived!

Thai Chicken and Coconut Soup with Noodles turned out to be a delicious surprise! The recipe comes from Food and Wine. It captured my imagination when I saw it. First of all, I truly like Thai food. And the ingredients just sounded so refreshing that I knew I had to try it.

Cast of Characters-most of them anyway. And ignore the box of Mike ‘n Ikes … uh, I think those must have been Bob’s?

The recipe calls for cooking oil. I decided to use coconut oil in keeping with the theme. I’m not sure how much difference if any it made, but it worked for me. I sautéed the onion until translucent and then added the garlic, coriander, ginger, black pepper and cayenne. After cooking that for about 30 seconds, in went the broth, coconut milk, fish sauce, salt and lime zest. Oh, and by the way I used low fat coconut milk. I brought that to a simmer and partially covered it. I let it simmer for about ten minutes while stirring it occasionally.

While the broth is simmering, cook the fettuccine in boiling water until just done. (I used wide egg noodles because wide egg noodles are what I had. Worked great!) Drain the noodles.

Add the chicken to the soup and continue to simmer a few more minutes. Take the pot off the heat and add in the noodles, lime juice, and cilantro (if using – I didn’t).

Serve the soup with a fork and spoon. And prepare yourself for such goodness you’ll wonder just how you’ve lived this long without it!

Thai Chicken and Coconut Soup with Noodles-Food & Wine

Ingredients:
1. 1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
2. 1 small onion, chopped
3. 4 cloves garlic, minced
4. 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
5. 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
6. 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
7. 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
8. 1 quart canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
9. 2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk
10. 5 teaspoons Asian fish sauce (nam pla or nuoc mam) or soy sauce
11. 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
12. 2 3-inch-long strips lime zest
13. 1/2 pound egg fettuccine
14. 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3), cut into 14-inch slices (I used rotisserie chicken)
15. 2 tablespoons lime juice
16. 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)

Directions

1. In a large pot, heat the cooking oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, coriander, ginger, black pepper, and cayenne; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.

2. Add the broth, coconut milk, fish sauce, salt, and lime zest. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the fettuccine until just done, about 12 minutes. Drain.

4. Add the chicken to the soup and simmer until just done, about 1 1/2 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the fettuccine, lime juice, and cilantro, if using. Serve the soup in bowls with a fork and spoon.

2 comments:

  1. I've been restocking the soup larder all weekend. So far, a Smoky Roasted Potato Soup and a French Peasant Soup. Up tomorrow is an Italian soup -- we're quite eclectic and cosmopolitan in our tastes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound delicious! How 'bout sharing? Especially the smoky roasted potato!

    ReplyDelete