Saturday, January 15, 2011
Thai Chicken and Coconut Soup with Noodles
And now I’m in the soup making mood. So I’ve had a few recipes that I’ve been waiting to make when the cold weather arrives. And it has arrived!
Thai Chicken and Coconut Soup with Noodles turned out to be a delicious surprise! The recipe comes from Food and Wine. It captured my imagination when I saw it. First of all, I truly like Thai food. And the ingredients just sounded so refreshing that I knew I had to try it.
Thai Chicken and Coconut Soup with Noodles-Food & Wine
1. 1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
2. 1 small onion, chopped
3. 4 cloves garlic, minced
4. 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
5. 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
6. 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
7. 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
8. 1 quart canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
9. 2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk
10. 5 teaspoons Asian fish sauce (nam pla or nuoc mam) or soy sauce
11. 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
12. 2 3-inch-long strips lime zest
13. 1/2 pound egg fettuccine
14. 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3), cut into 14-inch slices (I used rotisserie chicken)
15. 2 tablespoons lime juice
16. 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
1. In a large pot, heat the cooking oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, coriander, ginger, black pepper, and cayenne; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
2. Add the broth, coconut milk, fish sauce, salt, and lime zest. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the fettuccine until just done, about 12 minutes. Drain.
4. Add the chicken to the soup and simmer until just done, about 1 1/2 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the fettuccine, lime juice, and cilantro, if using. Serve the soup in bowls with a fork and spoon.