Tuesday, February 9, 2010

"It's Chili by George!"...or Jean


I’m going to be perfectly honest with you; this is the best darn chili I have ever made! And I always thought my chili was pretty good. Now, you all know how much I love Allrecipes.com. Sometimes I just browse through reading recipes. I do that. I read cookbooks and cooking magazines. I think of all the dishes I want to make. And I mark them with the full intention of trying them. Of course, there is no way I could try them all. We don’t have a big enough refrigerator for that. Besides the fact that it is just Bob and me; hell, we’d be big as houses! However, every once in a while I do find one that I just simply have to make immediately. That’s what happened here.

I saw this recipe online. It is called “It’s Chili by George!” It is really so good and just the perfect thing in weather like we’ve been having! It warms you up from the inside out. Now, I made a few minor changes to the recipe (just couldn’t help myself). I’ll post the link to the original along with the recipe as I made it. Either way, whether it’s chili by George or Jean, it is good!!!

“It’s Chili by George” ala Jean
Adapted from allrecipes.com
original recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Its-Chili-by-George/Detail.aspx##

Ingredients
• 2 pounds lean ground beef
• 1 (28 fluid ounce) can diced tomatoes
• 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
• 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 small can Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
• 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
• 1 & 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar
• 1/4 cup chili powder
• 1 & 1/2 teaspoons Ancho chili powder
• 1 tablespoon Wahoo chili seasoning (Tastefully Simple)

Directions
1. Place ground beef in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until about halfway cooked. Add chopped onion. Cook until beef is evenly browned. Drain, and crumble.

2. In a large pot over high heat combine the ground beef, tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans, pinto beans, brown sugar, chili powder, ancho chili powder and Wahoo!. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours.

3. Note: If using a slow cooker, brown beef & onions. Drain. Set cooker on low, add ingredients, and cook for 4 to 6 hours on low.

No comments:

Post a Comment