Saturday, February 20, 2010

Tortellini Bacon Broccoli Salad


Now here is a recipe that I absolutely fell in love with! Oh my gosh, I simply could have eaten the entire contents of the bowl by myself. I mean, it took all of my self control not to stab Bob with my fork when I saw his hand coming toward the bowl. But hey, I’m not that harsh! Even though I never went to kindergarten I know how to share…albeit sometimes grudgingly. It’s a good thing I only made half of the recipe. I just couldn’t stop eating it! I am telling you, it is addictive.

Once again, I got the recipe from Allrecipes. I just cannot tell you how much I love that site! (Have I ever told you that a few of my recipes are on there?) They just have really good recipes. Some you take and use as a basic idea and shape your own and some are just good to go as they are. That is definitely the case here. The only thing I changed was that I used the low-fat dressing. And make sure you give it time to hang out in the fridge so all of the ingredients get to know each other really well. ‘Cause that’s when it tastes the best!

I can’t wait to make this again. I think it will be an absolutely wonderful dish for summer cookouts, too!

Tortellini Bacon Broccoli Salad
Allrecipes.com
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Tortellini-Bacon-Broccoli-Salad/Detail.aspx

INGREDIENTS:

2 (9 ounce) packages refrigerated three-cheese tortellini (like Buttoni)
1 pound bacon
4 cups chopped broccoli
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 cup bottled coleslaw dressing (I use Marzetti’s Low Fat)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cook the tortellini according to the package directions, drain, rinse with cold water, and refrigerate until cool, about 30 minutes.
2. Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Chop the bacon into 1/2-inch pieces while still a little warm.
3. Place the tortellini, bacon, broccoli, grape tomatoes, and green onions into a salad bowl. Pour the dressing over the ingredients, and toss lightly to coat. Chill in refrigerator before serving.

Oh! Wait! I forgot to tell you something! Next time I make it, I will not mix the bacon in with all of the other ingredients. It got soggy. And who likes soggy bacon? That’s just not right. So I will cook the bacon and chop it up and then set it aside. Then I’ll just sprinkle it on each spoonful while I stand at the refrigerator door eating it…er, umm, I mean I’ll sprinkle it on each serving. Yeah, that’s what I meant to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment