Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Walk-to-School-Cookies

All right everybody. I know it’s been a while. But seriously, where does the time go? I swear sometimes I feel like Alice in Wonderland. I don’t know what the heck is going on because it seems like time disappears days at a time! Anyway, have I got some really good posts coming for you!

First, I am going to start out with ‘Walk-to-School-Cookies”. An incredibly dear friend of mine gave this recipe to me years ago when we lived next door to each other. Rita Nuzum was one of the finest women I will ever have been blessed to know. She was this wonderfully beautiful creature, inside and out. And did she have a killer sense of humor. We were both single gals living next door to each other. Her husband had passed away and I was divorced. We pulled each other through many lonely days and nights. God, how I loved that woman. (Make sure you tell people you love how you feel about them…sometimes you lose the chance just because you never got around to it.)

Now this recipe is most definitely not for the faint of heart. And I mean that literally. It actually has enough butter that it probably could fell a grown man. But hey, it is so worth it! They are melt-in-your-mouth buttery shortbread deliciousness with a nice little crunch.

Here’s to Rita!




Walk-to-School-Cookies
from my friend, Rita Nuzum
(makes 7 dozen*)

Cast of Characters

3 cups butter (6 sticks)
2 cups sugar
1 cup grape nuts
2 teaspoons vanilla
6 cups all purpose flour


Cream butter with sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.


Add cereal and vanilla; mix well.


Next add flour and mix well. Batter will be very stiff!


Shape into 1 inch balls (I use a #60 scoop) and drop onto wax paper sprinkled with sugar. Place balls, sugar coated side down, onto ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Gently press with a fork in a criss/cross pattern.

Bake at 350˚for 15 minutes.

Cool five minutes on sheet and move to wire rack to cool completely.

*I usually only make half a recipe…otherwise I’d eat the entire 7 dozen!

1 comment:

  1. I was lucky enough to taste these delicious cookies(the lucky neighbor). Anyway, give these a try, they are wonderful! YUMMMMMMM!!

    ReplyDelete