Friday, January 8, 2010

It's a Soup Kind of Day

We have 9 inches of snow on our deck. Last night it started snowing and would not quit. So, today is the kind of day that you want to stay inside and make a big pot of soup. But you want something easy; something quick; something that you probably have all the ingredients on hand ‘cause you sure as heck do not want to have to run out to the store!

Oh my goodness! It warmed me up just to think about what soup recipes to give you. I have a couple of standbys that we really like. I couldn’t decide which recipe to post, so Bob suggested I do both. He’s not only cute, he’s smart too!

A-Maize-ing Corn Chowder came from allrecipes.com quite a few years ago. I have no idea how long I’ve been making this, but we just love it. The chicken noodle soup is delicious as well. I adapted it from a recipe off of allrecipes.com (my "go-to website). Whichever soup you choose, I know you’ll be so glad you did!

A-MAIZE-ING CORN CHOWDER
www.allrecipes.com

6 slices bacon
1 onion, chopped
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
½ cup water
2 cups milk
2 (14.75 oz) cans cream style corn
1 (15.25) can whole kernel corn
½ teaspoon salt
ground black pepper to taste

Fry bacon in a Dutch oven until crisp; remove bacon, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Sauté onion in reserved drippings until tender; add potatoes and water. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Stir in milk, corn, salt and pepper to taste; continue to cook, stirring frequently, until heated through. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon before serving.


QUICK & EASY CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
Adapted from www.allrecipes.com

1 tablespoon butter
½ cup chopped onion
¼ cup chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
½ pound chopped cooked chicken breast (I use rotisserie chicken)
1 ½ cups egg noodles
1 cup sliced carrots
½ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried marjoram
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Sauté onion, and celery in butter until just tender; about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté an additional minute. Pour in chicken broth and stir in chicken, noodles, carrots, basil, marjoram, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

  1. You're so right, this weather calls for big vats of soups. I am beginning to feel claustrophobic as the snow just keeps coming down. Is this really what life is going to be like here in Columbus in winter?

    Both these soups sound delish, thanks for sharing. I just emailed you about a contest you won over at my blog that should also help with the endless snow.

    :)

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The corn chowder is great. This is a go-to in our house as well. When I'm getting really crazy, I add a pinch of thyme to the soup. It really is soup weather.

    ReplyDelete