Monday, January 25, 2010

Turkey in a Crock Pot?


I know, I know! I thought they were crazy, too! And when I looked at the recipe I darn near laughed out loud. Then I started reading the reviews. There are 539 of them. I read several pages and I couldn’t find a bad review among them. Go figure.

So I tried it. May I just say this? O.M.G. This was the easiest thing in the world! And it was delicious!

Leave it to Allrecipes to come up with this wonder of a recipe. It was submitted by “ms_sally”. And I for one want to thank her. The entire recipe consists of two ingredients; the turkey breast (bone in) and a package of dry onion soup mix. I kid you not this is incredible! You rub the dry soup mix under the skin of the turkey breast and all over it. Then you put it in the crock pot. That’s it! No liquid! (Of course Bob added some white wine to ours, because he liquors everything up if he can get away with it!)

Depending on how much the turkey breast weighs, cooking time will vary. The recipe suggests using a 6 pound breast and starting it on high for an hour and finish on low for 7 hours. Bob and I both thought that was a little too long. The meat will dry out if it is overcooked. Just remember that you want it to be 165˚F when you check it with a meat thermometer.

I am telling you, this is so good. You absolutely have to try it! Yeah, it was that good.



Slow Cooker Turkey Breast
http://www.allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Turkey-Breast/Detail.aspx?prop31=8

Ingredients:
• 1 (6 pound) bone-in turkey breast
• 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix

Directions:
Rinse the turkey breast and pat dry. Cut off any excess skin, but leave the skin covering the breast. Rub onion soup mix all over outside of the turkey and under the skin. Place in a slow cooker. Cover, and cook on High for 1 hour, then set to Low, and cook for 7 hours.

2 comments:

  1. My only way to make a turkey breast .. and if you roast it breast down ... juicy, juicy, juicy! Thanksgiving more than once a year! Gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this tonight and all I have to say is this was the best turkey I have ever tasted!!! So easy.........so delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete