Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Most Delicious Pot Roast in the World!

So today was Saturday and Bob and I headed out to do a few errands. We were over at Easton and made a stop at one of our favorite stores, Trader Joe’s. We’d chosen a gorgeous bunch of flowers including pink stargazer lilies, made it through the cheese section with a lovely wedge of Jarlsberg cheese, and had started to make our way through the busy produce department. What were we doing here on a Saturday afternoon anyway? It is crazy busy on Saturdays and we know that from previous experience!

Weaving our way through the traffic, we were stopped by a darling young lady in an adorable pink coat. (Go figure that I noticed that right away.) She approached us holding a pork tenderloin packaged in pre-made marinade. Very politely she said, “ Excuse me, may I ask you a question? You look like you would know more about this than I do.” I was absolutely charmed. She asked if this piece of meat would be appropriate for a crock pot. Both Bob and I commented that the tenderloin was much too lean for a crock pot. She asked me to help her pick out a package of meat that would work better.

As we made our way back to the meat section I asked what it was that she had in mind. What she explained to me sounded like a good old fashioned pot roast. A hunk of beef with onions and potatoes and carrots that is slow cooked to absolute goodness. We rummaged around but didn’t find at all what she needed.

Chatting for a few brief moments, the conclusion was she needed to go to Giant Eagle. This week a bottom round roast can be gotten for a song; as in buy-one-get-one free! Then I just couldn’t stop myself. I know, I know. She asked one question and here I was practically going home to cook dinner with her! But I had to tell her about my most favorite way in the world to cook a roast! And then, I realized I’ve never shared it with all of you! My bad…

Greta, this is especially for you!




The Most Delicious Pot Roast in the World

1 can (10 ¾ oz) Campbell’s Golden Mushroom Soup
1 can (10 ½ oz) Campbell’s French Onion Soup
Bottom round roast, or other “pot roast” type cut of meat, 3-5 pounds
Potatoes
Onions
Carrots
Mushrooms, optional

Mix Golden Mushroom and French Onion soups together, blending completely. Pour enough to just barely cover the bottom of your crock pot.

Trim roast of any outside excess fat. Place roast in crock pot.

Cut potatoes, onions and carrots into approximately the same size chunks. Add to crock pot. Pour remaining soup mixture over all. If using mushrooms, add the last half hour of cooking.

Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 6-7 hours. Cooking times are approximate as size of roasts will differ.

I kid you not this will make the most tender roast, the most wonderful vegetables and the most delicious gravy that you just about want to dive naked into it!

Serve with a big salad and a loaf of crusty bread and you have heaven on a plate!

Greta, I so hope you enjoyed dinner!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, first I want to know why you have never shared this recipe with me, your neighbor of 10 years!!! This sounds soooo good, I am going to make my hubby very happy this week and make this. Sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete